Foxit PDF Editor support deployment via Remote Desktop Services, including RemoteApp and Terminal Server, (formerly Windows Terminal Server).
Since there are many ways to configure Foxit PDF Editor for VDIs, these instructions are intended as basic examples. Administrators may need to tailor these instructions to meet the requirements of their environment.
Organizations looking to deploy Foxit PDF Editor to their knowledge workers.
In this article:
- System Requirements
- Tuning for virtual environments
- Deploy on one of the following:
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
- Windows Server 2012 R2 standard
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- User profile data in the <user>/AppData/Roaming/Foxit Software/Foxit PDF Editor/ folder and the HKCU hive "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Editor 11.0\Advanced" should roam with user so that they are synced on the server instance where the user logs in. Administrators can use any available technique for profile redirection such as folder redirection or other profile management tools. See Tuning for virtual environments.
Tuning for virtual environments
Tuning helps mitigate performance issues, simplifies the end user experience, and allows you to disable features and behaviors that should not be accessible to end users in an IT-managed environment.
Only licensed users should have access to the virtual Foxit PDF Editor instance. For more information, refer to the Software license terms.
Citrix deployments support the following licensing options:
- Named user licensing
- Shared device licensing
Named user licensing deployments
With named user licensing, end users simply “activate” Foxit PDF Editor by logging in to the software. License-related data is saved in the user's "AppData/Roaming/Foxit Software/Foxit PDF Editor/" folder and registry hive "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Editor 12.0\Advanced" which is synced to the VM on login.
1. Set up profile redirection. User profile data in roaming folder as well as the HKCU hive must sync to the VM instance on which the user logs in.
Admins should ensure that such data is saved on user logout or disconnect. Some systems provide VM tools; for example, Citrix (Citrix Profile Management) and VMware Horizon (View Personal Management). At a minimum, sync the following:
- Roaming Folder:
- C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Editor
- HKCU hive:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Editor 12.0\Advanced
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Foxit Software\Foxit PDF Editor 12.0\plugins\CPDFServer
2. Customize the package using the Foxit Customization Wizard
3. Deploy at as usual.
Shared device licensing deployments
Foxit PDF Editor supports Offline Licensing in most virtual environments, including Citrix, VMWare, RDS/WTS, and App-V. Use this package type for end-users who:
- Cannot adopt named user licensing since they are not allowed to use online services.
- Restricted environment with no internet.
Don't use this package type for end-users who:
- Periodically connect to the internet, because the Admin Console only needs to check license usage every 60 days.
1. Customize the package using the Foxit Customization Wizard to include the Shared Device key
2. Deploy as usual.