When you need to make Foxit PhantomPDF as default PDF viewer by changing default file association for PDF files in Windows, please follow the instructions below according to the operating system you are using on computer.
1. Right click the Start button, and choose Settings.
2. Select Apps from the list, then choose Default apps on the left.
(Note: if you’re still running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the path is Settings > System > Default apps)
3. Scroll down a little to click the Choose default apps by file type link.
4.Scroll down and find .pdf and click the button on its right side.
5. Select Foxit PhantomPDF from the Choose an app list to associate it with .pdf file extension.
6. If there is a before you switch message appears which says “Try Microsoft Edge, It’s new, it’s fast, and its’s built for windows 10”, please click the Switch Anyway link to confirm the change, then Foxit PhantomPDF would be set as the new default viewer in windows 10.
7.Windows 10 will now open Foxit PhantomPDF each time you open a PDF file from File Explorer.
1.Open Control Panel.
Windows 8: please press WIN+X hotkey to bring up the Power User Menu, which has a link to the Control Panel.
Windows 7 or Vista: please click the Start button, then click Control Panel from the list in the right margin.
2.Click on the Programs link.
Note: you’ll only see this Programs link if you're on the Category or Control Panel Home view of Control Panel. Otherwise, click Default Programs instead, followed by Associate a file type or protocol with a program link. Skip to step 4.
3.Click Default Programs.
4.Choose the Associate a file type or protocol with a program link on the following page.
5.Once the Set Associations tool loads, which should take a second or two, scroll down the list until you see the .pdf file extension that you want to change the default program for.
6.Click the .pdf file extension to highlight it.
7.Click the Change program... button which is located above the scroll bar.
8.What you see next, and the next step to take, depend on what version of Windows you're using.
Windows 8: From the How do you want to open this [file extension] file from now on? window you see, click on More options to expand this window to make all of the recommended apps to be shown there , please click on Foxit PhantomPDF to make it as new default PDF viewer.
Windows 7 & Vista: From the Open with window that popped up, look through the programs listed and choose Foxit PhantomPDF,click the OK button. Windows will refresh the list of file associations to show Foxit PhantomPDF as the new default program assigned to .pdf file type there.
9.From this point forward, when you double-click on .pdf format file, Foxit PhantomPDF will automatically launch and load the PDF file.