Before you can add digital signature in PDF file, you need to get a digital ID, sometimes called a digital certificate. Certificates for digital signatures are normally issued by a trusted third party provider called a Certificate Authority (CA), who are certified to do this. Ordering certificates from Certificate Authority often costs you some money depending on the type of certificate you need.
You can also make your own digital ID with our Foxit PhantomPDF if you like.Here are the steps on how to create a self-signed digital ID within Foxit PhantomPDF application:
1. Navigate to Protect tab in Foxit PhantomPDF>click on Sign & Certify in the Protect group > choose Place Signature from the sub-menu items.
2. Press and hold the mouse button down, and drag to draw a signature field for your signature.
3. In the pop-up Sign Document dialog box, choose New ID… from Sign As drop-down menu to get the Add Digital ID pop-up box.
4. In the Add Digital ID pop-up box, choose A new digital ID I want to create now option, click on Next button.
A new Add Digital ID dialog box appears asking you where you would like to store your self-signed digital ID. Please select a location to store the digital ID. If you select “New PKC#12 Digital ID file” item, Digital ID will be stored on computer in .pfx format. If you select the tiem“Windows certificate store", Digital ID will be stored in Windows Certificate Store.
button to type your identity information such as name, organization
unit, e-mail address, etc. to be used when generating the self-signed
certificate. In Use Digital ID for, choose one option as needed.
If you have selected“Windows certificate store"this item,just click on Finish button in Add Digitail ID dialog box.
If you have selected“New PKC#12 Digital ID file”this item,click Next button in Add Digitail ID dialog box,enter a file name, storage location and password for your new digital ID file. Confirm your password and click Finish.
5. Finally, you will see the newly created Digital ID appears in the Sign As drop-down menu in Sign Document dialog box.